Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Life a little less simple...






Wow - motherhood sure is a fulltime job, but I can't imagine my life any other way right now. I feel so lucky to be in a position to be able to enjoy our little beauty full time. We've been home almost a month now and the time is just flying by. Every day is full of discoveries and for us and for Olivia and it's so much fun watching her learn and grow. She intertains us with new sounds, facial expressions and smiles that make us want to smooch her to death. Even thought I'm not working at my regular full time job right now, I'm busier than I've ever been and it's hard to find time to do the chores like laundry, housekeeping and bottlewashing, etc. I don't know where the time goes, but by the end of the day, I'm exhausted and still haven't got everything done.

We had our first overnight trip on the boat this past weekend and I have to say that I think this little one travels better than we do! We went over to Pender Island and spent the night at Otter Bay where they have a nice marina and a pool. Olivia just loves being out in the fresh air with the wind in her face, watching all the new people and places she's never seen before - and boy, does she like swimming. We also bought a little kiddie blow up pool and put it in the cockpit of the boat and what a hit that was! It's where she had her bedtime bath on Saturday night and she splashed in it the whole way home.

We finally gave up on trying to get her to sleep in her crib in her room as she gets really worked up being alone and having her in our bed wasn't working either as she would spraw out and kick us all night. Also, Ron worries that he might roll on her in the night because she's so small. Sooo...we took her crib apart, set it up with only 3 sides on my side of the bed so that she's right beside me and made it level with our mattress. I don't know if it was all the fresh air from sailing or the new sleeping arrangement, but she slept from 9 pm until 4:00 am, then after a quick bottle and a change, went back to sleep until 7:30! That's the first time she's slept more than 3 hours at a time since we got her! I actually woke up twice to check her because I was worried that I hadn't heard from her. I think we might have found something that will work for all of us. I guess that's all part of getting to know each other and learning what works and what doesn't. Also, in the last week or so, she has started waking up with a smile and loves to cuddle and talk and play in bed in the morning - I think that's my favorite time of all so far. There's absolutely nothing like looking into that little face with the big beautiful eyes when she lays one of her smiles on you. So what if the laundry waits another day...

7 Comments:

Blogger Kristine said...

I had thought of the same sleeping arrangement. Glad to hear it is working for you!! Love the pool. You all look so happy and content as a family. As they say "a messy house is the sign of a loving home"
Cheers,
Kristine and Shawn

7/26/2006 9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Olivia,
Boy, you have turned out to be a beautiful litle sailor. I really like the picture of you 'checking out' the rope. Have to make sure Daddy did a good job, right?
You are such a sweetie.
Happy sailing little one.
Maureen

7/26/2006 10:26 PM  
Blogger Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

So nice to see everything is going well for you guys. Olivia looks like she is very happy. So glad to see an update on how things are going. I'd love to see and hear more.
Carolyn and Marvin in PEI

7/27/2006 2:04 PM  
Blogger Middle-Aged Moi said...

Hey Val and Ron,

Olivia is sooo cute and you guys seem so happy! What a joy! We may end up with the same sleeping arrangements too! The key is to be flexible, I guess. So much to learn..... so much time to learn it in..... :-)

Janet T.

7/30/2006 9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sailor Olivia looks like she is having a super time:) I cant wait to see Camper Olivia in action:))

7/31/2006 9:38 PM  
Blogger Middle-Aged Moi said...

I had to comment again because I LOVE the scenery in the first picture. I think I am having ocean envy. :-)

Janet T.
tuiningatreasures.blogspot.com

8/15/2006 6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go, you guys. You are doing a wonderful job. As an adoptive mother myself, i know the feeling of what you are going through. Wish you all happiness always!!

cc

9/15/2006 6:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Site Counter